War memorial at the Steinfeld Bridge

War memorial at the Steinfeld Bridge

On the right after the bridge


Place

Place

The monument was erected in 1923 by relatives and friends of the fallen from the districts of Steinfeld, Rettenbach and Hinterstein in cooperation with the stonemason Sebastian Brucker of Ischl. Initially, the monument was placed directly on Steinfeldstrasse, and it remained there until 1977.

In 1952, a plaque with the war victims of WWII was added. Later the plaque with the dead of WWI was rebuilt. In 2014, on the initiative of the Cultural Heritage Society of Bad Ischl (Ischler Heimatverein) on the occasion of the commemoration of the beginning of WWI, the plaque was restored again.

The pedestal is made of natural stone blocks. On top, there is a monolith, that is crowned by an artificial stone eagle. Below the eagle there is a small relief medallion with a cross pattée. At the front, the two plaques with the names of the fallen are mounted on top of each other. The lists are arranged per districts.